Like the final weeks of summer, the end of my Summer Salad Series, a salad a day for the entire month of July, is a bittersweet time. There is still a whole week left to enjoy fresh produce and explore new flavour combinations, and yet, with the end near, I begin thinking ahead to the future.
At the end of summer, the future is the first day of school, new jeans, cool evenings. At the end of July Salads, the future is possibly falling off the salad wagon. I’m beginning to worry if I can keep up my healthy routine.
They say it takes 3 weeks to make a new habit stick, and I have only just reached that timeframe. While some days have been challenging, salad-wise, making this commitment has kept me on the straight and narrow, and forced me to plan my meals ahead and shop smarter. I hope that this new habit will carry me through the rest of the season. If Summer Salads has reminded me of one thing, it’s how easy and fun salads can be. And thank goodness I don’t have to turn on my oven in this heat!
Summer Salad Series Week 4!
- Why not have salad for breakfast?! We can’t end this month without giving it a shot. Let’s try this Breakfast Grain Salad with Blueberries, Hazelnuts and Lemon from The Kitchn.
- This salad was a part of a 31 day salad challenge on Damaris’s blog, Kitchen Corners. It’s gotta be good, right? Avocado and Mango Salad.
- This recipe is perfect for riding out the rest of the cherry season: Wild Arugula-Quinoa Salad with Cherries via Kiss My Spatula.
- Talk about an easy, refreshing and super healthy salad: Nancy’s Broccoli and Carrot Vinaigrette.
- Last but not least, a recipe I have had since 2003! and never tried (I know, I know) Greek Rice Salad via Chatelaine Magazine.
Have fun this week and let me know how your salads are going.